Monday, November 16, 2009

Grrrl Zines

I miss swapping zines and mix tapes in the mail.  As a kid this is how I conquered the isolation of being a  suburban punk.  And this is also how I found out about so many cool bands, many of which I still love today!  I think while I'm feeling nostalgic about this, I'm going to try to dig up copies of my old zine and try to find some new pen pals. A new book, Girl Zines: Making Media, Doing Feminism by Alison Piepmeier, is set to be released on November 18th.  Here is a review of the book from The American Prospect.




And if you're interested in reading more about grrrl zines, I can recommend the book: Girls Guide to Taking Over the World: Writings From The Girl Zine Revolution by Tristan Taormino and Karen Green. 





And if you want to learn how to make a zine yourself, one of my favorite authors of all time, Francesca Lia Block, contributed to the book Zine Scene: The Do it Yourself Guide to Zines with Hilary Carlip.




And for a great website and more information about zines, check out the Grrrl Zine Network!


         

No comments:

Post a Comment