Friday, August 14, 2009

Juliette Lewis, Cat Power and The Pretenders Show


Juliette Lewis | August 12 at Bank of America Pavilion, Boston | Photo: Carina Mastrocola

I've been super busy at the IEATA (International Expressive Arts Therapy Association) conference and am looking forward to curling up with my puppy and relaxing, but I wanted to write a quick blog about the Juliette Lewis, Cat Power and Pretenders show in Boston on Wednesday.

I was very disappointed that Juliette only played for 30 minutes. She played a lot of new songs, including an interesting bluesy number from her album Terra Incognita that comes out 9/1 (which I was psyched to get a copy of early!) It was nice to get a sneak peak at the new material, but I really wished she would've played a longer set, including more of the songs I knew, so I could dance and sing.

Cat Power | August 12 at Bank of America Pavilion, Boston | Photo: Carina Mastrocola
Cat Power was interesting. The music was good, but Marshall's stage presence was awkward. She was in the corner without a spotlight on her for most of the show, or hunched over singing. I assume she has stage fright and is extremely shy, and I spent most of her set analyzing her movements, rather than enjoying the music. I guess sometimes being a therapist can ruin things. She did play a lot of the cover songs from her recent record. Her set was very low key. To build up momentum I wish she had played first, then Juliette and then the Pretenders.


The Pretenders | August 12 at Bank of America Pavilion, Boston | Photo: Carina Mastrocola



And as for the Pretenders, well Chrissy Hynde's voice was absolutely amazing live and her stage presence was the exact opposite of Marshall's: a self assured rockstar. My friend picked up the new CD, which I was surprised to enjoy so much. My favorite song is the title track, Break Up the Concrete.

Unfortunately my seats weren't great and the iphone camera doesn't have a zoom, so thanks to The Phoenix and Carina Mastrocola for their pictures.




Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment